Has my Smart TV camera been hacked - weird story with spying TV and camera

The situation that recently happened to me was so intriguing that I decided to prepare a separate entry for it. Well, as probably most of you, I have been working in the Home Office mode lately and I do most of my work at home from my own computer to make it interesting, my home office position is located in the living room where I also have a TV. The LCD TV is equipped with a Smart function - it is also connected to the Internet via WiFi.

Is it possible that my Smart TV has been hacked and someone has accessed my camera ? 


 

Yes, it may seem strange that I am writing about TV but the situation surprised me a lot. I am writing about it at this point when I am practically sure that the issue and the incident that took place was due to the presence of the TV in my living room.  

Basically the case is that about 2 weeks ago I met a certain person in my house. The meeting took place in the living room with a TV set.  

The purpose of the meeting was to provide me with certain documents related to my work. The meeting took place without the presence of third parties, late in the evening, with the curtains drawn in the living room.  

Why am I giving you all these facts?

Well, the day before yesterday I received a message that describes my meeting in detail. I exclude that the author of the message is the person with whom I met. Suspicion fell on the TV and the camera built into it. 

I am almost sure that there has been a hostile image capture on my TV by remote access to the camera. 

Why do I think the TV camera is spying me? 

It is true that I do not have a photo or video that the e-mail refers to, but the details are very accurate, they relate to the time, clothes, color of the briefcase that was given to me and the position we were in in the salon.

 The fact of the exchange of documents and its circumstances - it had to be captured from inside the building - I exclude the photographer with the telephoto lens outside, because as I mentioned, I always cover the curtains. 

I also exclude access through the camera that I have built into my laptop because the computer is set at such an angle that the camera is directed at the wall and it is not possible to see the situation in the middle of the living room. 

Since people who claim that they have a photo of me and provide very precise circumstances of this meeting, and the only device that could record this fact is the TV set in the living room, I believe that a hostile hijack of access to my camera took place. 

From what I have learned, such an attack can take place with the help of malware or some other method unknown to me.

I did some research on the Internet to find out if other people also fell victim to this type of event and to my surprise there are many descriptions of similar stories In the accounts of people who describe similar events, similar circumstances appear. All those people claim that theirs Smart TVs is spying on them!

Of course, these are assumptions because no one has proven anything to anyone. You can find out if there has been a hostile takeover of the camera built into the TV set by looking at the photo. 

The fact that taking over the remote control of the TV camera is possible is a scientific fact. This topic was discussed at conferences related to the security of information networks a smart TV with internet access and a built-in camera is like a computer (laptop with a camera) and is most vulnerable to attacks. 

I do not want to give here the model of my TV or the manufacturer, so as not to be exposed to legal liability, but I can provide a link to the website that treats this matter very seriously.

Where can you find information about your Smart TV camera?

The page I am talking about describes the methods of securing your TV against unauthorized access by physically sticking the camera on. 

A lot of questions in a thread on this page suggest that the topic is very timely and that many people have concerns about their privacy. 

When using televisions equipped with cameras, the most important step in securing the camera is to accurately locate the camera inside the Smart TV. 

It comes to the fact that many people are looking for information on how to find a camera in their TV and whether their TV has such a built-in camera at all. 

To find the camera in your TV and how to stop being spied please check this tutorial:

https://smartphonesoutions.eu/security/where-is-the-camera-on-my-lg-smart-tv/

Some televisions also have microphones allegedly for voice control, but as it turns out, they can be used for many other not necessarily legal things - such as wiretaps. I invite you to visit this page and find out that the topic is really serious. 

Many people have experienced the same as I am writing this post with a warning to all and attention to privacy issues. Be careful what you do in front of your TV screens, which most often occupy the center of the living room in your homes or apartments. 

Comments

  1. That is really interesting thing. Those cameras and lack of privacy everywhere. It is very confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT seems that this is not only about TV but also phones.

    The National Security Agency says it has spied on "several thousand" iPhone users worldwide, the latest in an increasingly widespread attack against a US tech company. The statement comes amid mounting fears that the US tech firm, Apple, is losing control of the information it collects through the practice of "backdoor" backdoors.

    It also confirms a report by security expert Craig Scott published on the web this week, which said there were at least a "number of" more than a dozen devices on the dark web selling the surveillance software Apple uses to monitor its iOS software – including one device that sells for $2,300, according to his data.

    That was one of several reports of iPhone spying this week. The latest statement, from the NSA, is the latest in a string of revelations about mass surveillance and alleged backdoors, and comes just days before US president Donald Trump is set to sign a bill giving him broad authority to crack down on the nation's surveillance capabilities.

    The bill would allow the new president to use a series of sweeping laws to crack down on suspected terrorist, tax evaders and other suspected criminals. Mr Scott, however, said he had found three phone models used by two of the most prominent users of the software – both of whom he identified from social media profiles.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog